Alzheimers Home > Ginkgo Biloba Side Effects
Although ginkgo biloba is a "natural" product, it may still cause side effects. Bothersome side effects of the supplement include problems such as upset stomach, dizziness, and nausea. However, some side effects of ginkgo biloba may be serious and should be reported to your healthcare provider. Some of these serious side effects include seizures, nosebleeds, and vision changes.
Ginkgo Biloba Side Effects: An OverviewAs with any medication or supplement, ginkgo biloba (ginkgo) can cause side effects. Although some people assume that natural products (such as ginkgo biloba) are automatically free of side effects, this is simply not the case. Remember, many poisons and toxins are also natural products. Ginkgo biloba can cause problems; some of these side effects can be quite serious (and even life threatening).
Bothersome Side Effects of Ginkgo BilobaPossible bothersome (although not usually serious) ginkgo biloba side effects may include:
- An upset stomach
- Diarrhea or constipation
- Feelings of a rapidly or forcefully beating heart (known as heart palpitations)
- Nausea and vomiting
Serious Side Effects to ReportThere are a number of potential side effects with ginkgo biloba that you should report to your healthcare provider. These include, but are not limited to:
- Increased bruising or bleeding (ginkgo biloba can increase the risk of bleeding)
- Black, tarry stools, bright-red blood in the stool, or vomiting of blood (signs of gastrointestinal bleeding)
- Signs of a hemorrhagic stroke (bleeding in the brain), such as vision or speech changes, weakness or numbness in an arm or leg, or a severe headache
- Signs of an allergic reaction, such as a rash, hives, itching, swelling of the mouth or throat, wheezing, or difficulty breathing.