Although not much information is available concerning the safety of phosphatidylserine, safety warnings and precautions for dietary supplements in general are available. Before taking a supplement, such as phosphatidylserine, consult your healthcare provider first if you have liver disease, kidney disease, or any other chronic or serious medical condition. Also, make sure the manufacturer of your phosphatidylserine product is a trusted and reputable manufacturer.
Phosphatidylserine is a naturally occurring molecule important for normal brain function. It is found in many foods (and made by the human body), but it is also used in dietary supplements. In order to use phosphatidylserine supplements safely, you should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking phosphatidylserine if you have:
- Any serious or chronic health condition
- Liver disease, such as liver failure, cirrhosis, or hepatitis
- Kidney disease, such as kidney failure (renal failure)
- Any allergies, including allergies to medications, foods, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you are:
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
You should also be sure to tell your healthcare provider about all other medicines you are taking, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.