Namenda XR Dosage
The recommended starting dose of Namenda XR for treating Alzheimer's is 7 mg once daily. If necessary, your healthcare provider may increase this amount in increments of 7 mg, but not more often than once a week. The maximum dose is 28 mg once daily. Because this medication comes in the form of an extended-release capsule, it is important to swallow the capsule whole.
An Introduction to Dosing With Namenda XRThe dose of Namenda XR® (memantine XR) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you respond to Namenda XR
- Other medications you are taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Namenda XR Dosage for Alzheimer's DiseaseThe recommended starting Namenda XR dosage for Alzheimer's disease treatment is 7 mg once daily. Your healthcare provider may increase this amount gradually in increments of 7 mg. However, the dose should not be increased more often than once a week. The target (and maximum) dosage of Namenda XR is 28 mg once daily.
If you are switching from short-acting Namenda 10 mg twice daily, you can switch directly to Namenda XR 28 mg once daily. If you are switching from short-acting Namenda 5 mg twice daily, the recommended dosage is Namenda XR 14 mg once daily.
General Information on Taking Namenda XRSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Namenda XR include the following:
- This medication comes in extended-release capsule form. It is taken by mouth once daily.
- You can take a Namenda XR dose with or without food. If the medicine bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Do not crush, chew, cut, or dissolve the extended-release capsules, as this will cause the medication to be released too quickly. You should swallow them whole.
- If you cannot swallow the capsules whole, you may open the capsule and sprinkle the contents on a little applesauce. This should be eaten right away, without chewing.
- Make sure to take this medication at the same time each day to keep an even level in your blood.
- For Namenda XR to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Do not suddenly stop taking this medication.
- If you are unsure about anything related to dosing with Namenda XR, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.