Alzheimers Home > Namenda XR Warnings and Precautions
It is important to tell your healthcare provider about any existing medical conditions you have and all other medications you are taking before starting Namenda XR. Warnings and precautions also relate to the safety of taking this drug if you have epilepsy, kidney disease, or liver disease. You may also not be able to use it if you are breastfeeding or have certain allergies.
What Should I Tell My Healthcare Provider?You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking Namenda XR® (memantine XR) if you have:
- Epilepsy or seizures
- A severe urinary tract infection
- Renal tubular acidosis, a kidney disorder
- Any other type of kidney disease, including kidney failure (renal failure)
- Liver disease, including liver failure, cirrhosis, or hepatitis
- Any allergies, including to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you are:
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
Make sure to tell your healthcare provider about any other medications you are taking, including prescription and nonprescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
Specific Warnings and Precautions With Namenda XRPrecautions and warnings to be aware of prior to taking Namenda XR include the following:
- This medicine has not been studied specifically in people with epilepsy or seizures. Because Namenda XR affects brain receptors and chemicals, it could cause problems in people with epilepsy. Check with your healthcare provider before taking this medicine if you have a seizure disorder.
- Conditions that decrease the acidity of the urine can cause Namenda XR to accumulate to high levels in the body. Examples of such conditions include very severe urinary tract infections (UTIs) and renal tubular acidosis.
- The liver metabolizes Namenda XR, and the kidneys remove it from the body. Thus, poor liver or kidney function may increase the level of this drug in the body, increasing the risks of Namenda XR side effects. Check with your healthcare provider before taking this product if you have liver or kidney disease.
- Namenda XR can potentially interact with a few medications (see Namenda XR Drug Interactions).
- Namenda XR is considered a pregnancy Category B medication. This means that it is probably safe for use during pregnancy, although the full risks are not known (see Namenda XR and Pregnancy).
- It is not known whether Namenda XR passes through breast milk. Therefore, if you are breastfeeding or plan to start, discuss this with your healthcare provider prior to beginning treatment (see Namenda XR and Breastfeeding).