Alzheimers Home > Important Instructions for Namenda XR
When and How to Take Namenda XRSome general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Namenda XR include the following:
- This medication comes in extended-release capsule form. It is taken by mouth once daily.
- You can take this medication with food or on an empty stomach. If Namenda XR bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Do not crush, chew, cut, or dissolve the extended-release capsules, as this will cause the medication to be released too quickly. You should swallow them whole.
- If you cannot swallow the capsules whole, you may open the capsule and sprinkle the contents on a little applesauce. This should be eaten right away, without chewing.
- Make sure to take this medication at the same time each day to keep an even level in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Do not suddenly stop taking it.
Dosing InformationThe dose of Namenda XR your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you respond to Namenda XR
- Other medications you are taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.