Ginkgo Biloba Overdose
Taking too much ginkgo biloba (ginkgo) may result in an overdose. Ginkgo biloba is a "natural" substance, but it is still possible to overdose on it. Possible symptoms of a ginkgo biloba overdose include vomiting, seizures, and signs of bleeding. At this time, it is not known how to best treat an overdose of ginkgo biloba, but treatment may involve administering certain medications, "pumping the stomach," or providing supportive care.
An Overview of a Ginkgo Biloba OverdoseGinkgo biloba (ginkgo) is a popular herbal supplement. It is typically used to enhance memory or to improve general mental functioning. The effects of a ginkgo biloba overdose will vary, depending on the ginkgo biloba dosage and other factors.
If you happen to overdose on ginkgo biloba, seek immediate medical attention.
Symptoms of a Ginkgo Biloba OverdoseEven though ginkgo biloba is a natural substance, it may be possible to take too much of it. Taking too much ginkgo biloba may result in overdose symptoms such as:
- Easy bruising or bleeding
- Black, tarry stools, bright-red blood in the stool, or vomiting of blood (signs of gastrointestinal bleeding)
- Vision or speech changes, weakness or numbness in an arm or leg, or a severe headache (signs of bleeding in the brain).
Treatment for a Ginkgo Biloba Overdose
It is not known how best to treat a ginkgo biloba overdose. If the overdose was recent, your healthcare provider may administer certain medicines or place a tube into the stomach to "pump the stomach." Treatment (if necessary) will also involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For instance, if a ginkgo overdose causes seizures, anticonvulsant medications may be given to stop the seizures.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on ginkgo biloba.