If you take too much Cognex, overdose symptoms may include nausea and vomiting, low blood pressure, and increased salivation. Some of the more serious overdose effects that have been reported include seizures, muscle weakness (including muscles used for breathing), and loss of life. Several treatment options are available for a Cognex overdose, including taking certain medications, "pumping the stomach," and supportive care.
Cognex® (tacrine hydrochloride) is a prescription medication used to treat Alzheimer's disease. It belongs to a group of Alzheimer's disease medications classified as acetylcholinesterase inhibitors. As with any medication, it is possible to take too much Cognex. The specific effects of a Cognex overdose can vary depending on a number of factors, including the Cognex dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
Reported symptoms of a Cognex overdose include:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Increased salivation
- Slow heart rate (bradycardia)
- Low blood pressure (hypotension)
- Muscle weakness, including life-threatening weakness of the muscles used for breathing
- Loss of life.
The treatment for a Cognex overdose will vary. If the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may "pump the stomach" or give medications to induce vomiting. Also, there are specific antidotes (such as atropine) that may be given to counteract the effects of Cognex. Treatment may also involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options for a Cognex overdose may include:
- Careful monitoring of the heart, blood pressure, and breathing
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV)
- Other treatments based on complications that occur.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on Cognex.