Benefits of Acetyl-L-Carnitine
Acetyl-L-carnitine is claimed to be beneficial for treating various conditions, such as Alzheimer's disease, male infertility, and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Although there is some evidence indicating that the product may have some medicinal uses, more research is needed to fully understand these acetyl-L-carnitine benefits. Before giving your child these supplements, talk to your healthcare provider about any potential risks.
Potential Acetyl-L-Carnitine Health BenefitsAcetyl-L-carnitine supplementation is claimed to be beneficial for a variety of different purposes. Some of the claimed health benefits of acetyl-L-carnitine include treating the following conditions:
- Alzheimer's disease
- Age-related memory problems
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Depression in the elderly
- Down syndrome
- Cognitive (thinking) problems associated with alcoholism or Lyme disease
- Poor circulation in the brain after a stroke
- Nerve pain due to diabetes or certain HIV medications
- Facial paralysis
- Male infertility
- Decreased testosterone due to aging in men ("male menopause")
- Peyronie's disease.
It is important to understand that dietary supplements like acetyl-L-carnitine can be marketed in the United States without any evidence that they are safe or effective. Although there is some evidence to suggest that acetyl-L-carnitine may be useful for certain conditions, more research is necessary to fully understand the benefits of acetyl-L-carnitine (see Does Acetyl-L-Carnitine Work?).